Welcome to SuKupedia ♥

Hi There,

If you are a regular, you know what to do
Thanks for coming back ♥♥ If you are a first timer, you probably typed '10th wonder of the world' and google landed you here or someone just referred you to the 'most awesome blog'. Whatever the case, you reached the right place
Just click 'Enter' . On your left hand side you will see 'Blog Topics', click the topic you would like to read. On your right hand side you will know how to 'Follow' me and on the top you will see a 'Full Bio-data' of me and my blog, my awards, how to contact me and my community listings So, what are we waiting for 'HIT IT' ♥♥
ENTER

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

How much for a Kidney???





Image Source:  Google Search

That question, how much for a kidney? though sounds gross to many of us out there, is a life saving question to someone who is on dialysis.  There are lot of people out there who would happily give away one of their kidneys or part of their liver to someone so that they can live normal lives.  Such people do this act without taking any money.  But percentage of this clan is really small.  Though organ trade is illegal, it is carried out on huge scale everywhere.  Yes a lot of noise about this was made, when the ex chief minister of Maharashtra died because of liver failure.  That is the sad state of our country that only if an influential person dies, noise is made and a common man's death would go un-noticed.  


I want organ trade to be legalised for a lot of reasons.  Please note I am not talking about organ 'donation', donation is something you are very much allowed to do.  But even a donation process requires months of paperwork, and all that while the patient and his/her family is left on the mercies of the red tape bureaucracy. So before you stone me, for saying that I would like Organ Trade to be legal, please hear out the reasons.

1.  Currently organ trade is illegal, but that does not mean there is no 'sale' of these organs.  What would you do if God forbid, your child, spouse or any loved one lands up in a situation where they require a transplant?  Well according to whatever knowledge I have, I think you will run helter skelter looking for that organ.  In that situation when someone appears and says they will give your child the required kidney but for a 'sum of money', will you accept it or stand there and deliberate the legality of it?  My guess is you will just accept the guy's offer and the whole process will go on smoothly.  It will be shown on papers that the guy is 'Donating' his kidney only out of 'Good Will' and not for any return favour in kind or cash.  There goes the whole legal system down the drain.....but can you blame anybody?

A legal system will crush this illegal system and our judiciary will not be a joke in the face of a calamity

2.  Now after the whole process of your loved one saved by this person's kidney, what if you don't pay up?  Since the whole process was deemed and mentioned on papers as a 'Donation' process I don't think the donor can go and file a complaint.  It will be like he has taken part in something illegal so he has no protection.  This is my understanding, but if you know of some other remedy available for the donor, do leave it in the comments below.  I know that in most cases the donor takes the money before hand, so that he/she is not duped, but what if the donor turns his back after taking the money? This whole system was illegal, where do people go for justice?

A legal organ trade will avoid such complications.

3.  Have you seen those movies, where a patient goes in for a simple surgery and later discovers that his kidney is missing? Then the hero comes in and discovers a whole organ 'scam' in a hospital?  These movies are inspired by real life.  If you don't believe me then read this incident which happened just in May this year. Thousands and thousands of cases like this have been registered.  I don't know how many got justice.  And for that matter, the only way justice can be provided is by returning their loved ones, but that is not possible because they are already hacked to death....so what justice are we talking about here???

A legal organ trade will be more transparent and in the long run remove the organ scam from our society.


Image Source:  Google Search

When an illegal system flourishes and creates a threat to the society then in my opinion it is best that Organ Trade is legalised.  But this legalisation though many have demanded may not happen in the near future, until then it is best that we donate our organs.  If you are reluctant to donate, probably the below questions will help you

1.  If you have a spare piece of chicken left on your plate, would you rather throw it away or give it to a street kid who has been hungry for 2 days?  After your death, you alongwith your organs, will be burned, buried or fed to the vultures.  Think how much more happiness it would give someone to have your organs and live their life and enjoy the universe that God has created.

2.  We don't have to wait till our death to help someone.  What if an opportunity arises and a friend needs a kidney or some other organ or tissue which can be transplanted and we can still be healthy?  Will you be able to bring yourself to offer help?  I will for sure, because when if my child or spouse or any loved one is in need I would want someone to help so yes I will help.  I cried my heart out when I was advised not to donate a kidney because of a medical condition I have.  So I went ahead and shared it on my facebook if someone could help my friend and also requested people to share it on their wall.  Yes my personal facebook, which only has family and friends, you know how many shares that status got....just 3 and no one replied.  But if this was Kareena Kapoor in bikini or a child who is lost or a latest gadget or some stupid shitty joke, it would have got 1000 shares.  As I write this I am so much filled with anger again.  For about a month I could not bring myself to talk to any of my friends or family.  Such is the world we live in, don't you want to be that one person in a million who will be able to do something in a stranger's life?

3.  Today is World Organ Donation Day, if you are someone like me who believes in organ donation then please create awareness.  Write about it, blog about it, talk about it in your tea sessions, together we all can make a difference.  Remember no matter what astrologer you consult, you have no idea what is coming your way, I pray that you never need this in your life, but if you do then you would wish that more people were aware of organ donation.  I have done my part, I hope you will do it too ♥♥  



I don't mind being stalked  if you like what I write here please click the 'Contact' page and follow me to read more of my work 

24 comments:

  1. I am still confused about my stand on the organ trade part of it. But nonetheless, I do agree with your points defending it. Kudos for spreading awareness around this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Deepa..very true I know there is a lot of confusion but atleast if they take it up we will land up somewhere instead of illegal trade...

      Delete
  2. I'm an organ donor and agree that if it becomes legal then it would cut back on the illegal scams going on right now but what price would we be looking at for an organ? Who determines the price? Those are some great points you raised but I'm not sure the world is ready yet. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly a big hug to you for being an organ donor :) :)

      Yes i agree that putting up a price and all that complications that come with it won't be easy...but maybe someone can come up with some solution to that...

      Delete
  3. To live even after death in the light that shines in someone's eyes, here's hoping this post inspires one and all on organ donation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Suku! Exactly pertinent points about illegal trade. Hope more people see it as a way to give life instead of making money out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rachna...hopefully someday we will reach that point...

      Delete
  5. Hmm..am still confused about the whole thing. I have seen it through different perspectives, and yet am still not convinced completely about any of the perspectives. But, I do agree that organ transplantation should be allowed when the donor and recipient mutually agree to it without any external push. Saving someone's life is probably the greatest of virtues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. even in that mutual consent thing you know people take money and give money...which is why it is illegal and the term 'donation' does not make any sense....

      Delete
  6. No doubt illegal organ trade does flourish but still I am undecided on the issue.Instead an awareness programme to donate organs must be undertaken. This should start at school level. but this will take a long time. If selling organs is legalised, the issue give raise its other ugly head. Organs will be sold to the highest bidder and only the very rich can afford.The organ selling will be like Mumbai real-estate business.Nobody can stop at this juncture. The middlemen will become greedier. There is no fool-proof remedy to this issue.
    Su Ku , I agree with some of your points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Kalpana that I agree the middlemen will become greedier but that is the situation even currently...but yes i know this is not a fool proof idea but hopefully the institutions can take it up and think about it seriously...with out political motives...

      Delete
  7. I guess I never realized such a thing went on. Crazy. My mom was on dialysis but couldn't have a transplant because she also had multiple myeloma. I guess the perspective on this topic changes completely if you or a loved one is in desperate need. Glad you are bringing light to this topic.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so sorry about your mom Kathy....yes when a loved one is involved the perspective changes completely...

      Delete
  8. Well, your justification seems logical. Actually those who have faced or are facing can be a better judge of the situation. I saw many bloggers donating their organs this week. There is a little green bow on their profile picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it was a world organ day.. I am so glad so many people went ahead and pledged :)

      Delete
  9. I have been thinking about it for a while, after reading about it in the newspaper. But I have not decided yet. But yes, I am thinking about it. Your post makes me want to pursue it more, research a bit more and make a choice. Thank you for creating the awareness Sunita.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was a call for incentivizing post-mortem organ donation which was rejected as it lead to the very real fear of viciously greedy relatives murdering their kin for money. While you raise pertinent questions about the state of affairs today, I do not think legalizing free-market trade in human organs is the solution. The solutions remain, in the short term, voluntary donation and in the long term, harvesting of human organs from stem cells. For now, just as euthanasia remains illegal in our country, so should trading of human organs. Because we're a rotten people and legalizing it would invariably lead to corruption and exploitation.

    Would I think differently were this another, less corrupt, country? I don't know. Is trading in human organs legal anywhere? Has it worked, if it is? Why not, if it doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am soo sorry for not replying earlier... have been having some health issues lately... please don't mind :)

      I agree that there would be corruption but so it is today too... organ scams are very existent and organ donation for many is just a way to make money... don't you think so...??

      Delete
  11. We may not like to admit this, but ours is a very self-centred society. All of us (OK, almost all of us) think only of ourselves, our families, our friends. Forget organ donation or blood donation, if you try to help somebody without any expectation of a return favour, you'll be labelled a fool!

    We must try to change this mindset in ourselves and in others around us.

    Having said that, organ donation is fine. I'm not too sure about legalising organ trade. Moneyed people will still find ways to take advantaged of non-moneyed people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of agree with your first para.. but now I have seen the other side and believe me there more number of people who want to help someone if there is a proper system available...

      Organ donation legalisation though it sounds crude I think can work out in the long term.. the problems that you have mentioned are very much persistent even today with illegal trade...

      Delete
  12. Aw, I wished you replied. I was hoping for a juicy armchair debate. Guess you've moved on. Incidentally, your post came just days after I my mother and I pledged our organs, so reading it was all the more interesting :)

    ~ Cyanide
    (a.k.a. anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just replied :)... gald you & your mom made that decision... welcome to the pool :)

      Delete

♥♥ Like it? Dislike it? Debate? Say it...it is always an encouragement ♥♥

Spread Luv ♥ Do Share ♥